Monday, November 19, 2012

True Love is Inexhaustible, the more you give, the more you are given...

I went to Africa with my University as a part of an "immersion" to learn about sustainable and innovative solutions to poverty. We traveled to Uganda and Rwanda and saw beauty and horror going hand in hand. I came home with no explicit expectations but now that the inherent expectations I had for the people I love have not been met, I realize that I anticipate too much from people. You see, I saw tombs, graves, memorials, skeletons, slums, AIDs, poverty, hunger, sadness and yet was overpowered with a sense of hope and joy and came home expecting people to understand.

NOTE: This is another post found in my drafts - I continue to have high expectations and am not sure if they have been met by those around me. I have begun to be a bit of a cynic but at the same time I recognize if I could experience the hope I did where and when I did on my 2009 journey to Africa, then I know we here, with our marginal problems, can find true, endless, burdenfree joy.

No comments: